The spokesperson confirmed redundancies will be made, but would not confirm a number.
Today Jupiter announced its future proposed product range to take effect following the acquisition of Merian, subject to regulatory approval.
As part of the integration approximately 40 Merian investment professionals, including 23 fund managers, will join Jupiter’s investment team.
Merian’s flagship strategies will also move to Jupiter intact, says Jupiter.
The future for the Merian funds is:
• Merian UK Alpha strategy: UK All-Cap specialist Richard Buxton and a longstanding team including Ed Meier, Errol Francis and James Bowmaker will join Jupiter bringing across the funds under their management.
• Merian UK Small and Mid-Cap strategy, managed by strategy leads Dan Nickols and Richard Watts along with fund managers Tim Service, Luke Kerr and Nick Williamson will move to Jupiter. The team will continue to manage the full range of funds. Jupiter’s UK small cap equities fund manager Matt Cable will join the team.
• Merian UK Specialist Equity Fund, managed by Tim Service, and Merian UK Opportunities Fund, managed by James Bowmaker, will move to Jupiter. Mr Service and Mr Bowmaker will continue to work closely with the rest of the UK team.
• Merian Global Systematic Equities strategy, managed by Ian Heslop alongside Amadeo Alentorn and team, also moves Jupiter. The team also brings with them Merian Global Equity Absolute Return (GEAR), the Alternative arm of this strategy.
• Merian Chrysalis Investment Company, subject to its Board approval, will join Jupiter’s existing range of closed-ended vehicles.
• Merian Gold & Silver Fund: Fund manager Ned Naylor-Leyland and his established team will continue to manage this specialist fund.
• Merian Strategic Absolute Return Bond Fund: Jupiter’s existing alternatives offering will be see the addition of this fund managed by Mark Nash and Nicholas Wall.
• Fixed Income: Harry Richards and Adam Darling will take the lead on credit focused strategies, including the Merian Corporate Bond Fund, and Luca Evangelisti will manage the Merian Financial Contingent Capital Fund.
• Emerging Market Debt: Fund manager Alejandro Arevalo will become manager of the Merian Emerging Market Debt funds. Patty Cao will join this team from Merian as an assistant fund manager, working alongside Jupiter assistant fund manager Reza Karim.
• Global Emerging Market equities: Fund managers Nick Payne, Salman Siddiqui and Liz Gifford will join the business. They have a ‘Quality Growth’ style, distinct from Jupiter’s ‘Unconstrained’ approach which is led by Ross Teverson. Mr Teverson and Mr Payne will work as co-heads of this strategy.
• European Smaller Companies: Fund manager Mark Heslop will take on the management of the Merian Europe (ex-UK) Smaller Companies Fund (Irish OEIC), as part of the broader European Growth franchise.
The future of two additional funds remains in question.
Merian Systematic Positive Skew Fund: It is anticipated that the fund will be closed following an orderly process. Mark Greenwood will continue to manage the fund in the interim.
Merian Global Dynamic Allocation Fund: Options for the future of the fund are currently being reviewed.