Tamsin Caine CFPTM Chartered MCSI said the couple in their 60s have actually become her longest clients – despite the tricky beginnings.
Ms Caine, also a Chartered Wealth Manager, works for Smart Financial in Altrincham.
She told Financial Planning Today digital magazine, for the latest issue’s Client Hunter feature, how it had occurred.
The fourth issue of the magazine is available to view HERE.
Read issue 3 by clicking HERE.
She said: “My first meeting with my longest clients was really tough. They were unhappy with the firm I worked for. They felt that they had been neglected. He describes the meeting as me being sent into the lion’s den!
“Maybe facing up to the issues they had experienced and trying to put things right is the reason that they have stuck with me. I have always been up front and honest with them.”
These clients have followed her through a number of company moves.
Ms Caine said: “They have plenty of money but live a frugal life. I have always struggled to help them to understand that they have enough, that they will not run out of money. Moving to Smart, using the Lifestyle Financial Planning model, I have been able to demonstrate that they have more than enough.
“This has enabled them to relax and enjoy spending a bit more on treats. We joke about me sending the lady to the shops around the corner from the office and telling her to spend money.”
So what does she believe is the key to long term relationships with clients?
She said: “Trust, honesty, always doing what you say you will do. Those things are important. I try to understand what makes clients tick.”
Read more tips and experiences from Tamsin Caine by reading the full article in the new Financial Planning Today digital magazine here.
Click on front page below to go to the magazine and read it online.
The magazine is available first to our email newsletter subscribers.
If you have not already signed up to our daily newsletter, you can receive early access to the new magazine by signing up now below:
The new publication features exclusive content including contributions from leading figures in the worlds of Financial Planning and Paraplanning plus features and insights produced by experienced financial journalists in London.
Financial Planning Today's latest issue highlights include:
• A Special Report on the trouble Financial Planning firms have been having finding Paraplanners
• An exclusive feature on Risk Profiling Tools, with expert insight from ex-FCA tecnhical specialist Rory Percival
• Columns from high profile planner Julie Lord, PFS chief executive Keith Richards, CISI head of Financial Planning Campbell Edgar and Paraplanner John Redmond
• Analysis of the 2017 investment prospects post the shock Trump US Presidential victory
• New Investment and DFM section with 180+ DFM providers listed plus DFM updates
• Plus, Planner Casebook, Inside My Business with LEBC chief Jack McVitie, Financial Planning and Paraplanning news and much more