Defendants are due to appear in court today accused of illegally opting employees out of workplace pensions.
The Pensions Regulator (TPR) has brought the prosecution against national recruitment firm Workchain Ltd (formerly known as Smart Recruitment UK Ltd), its directors and some senior staff.
They will appear at Derby Magistrates Court this afternoon.
The firm and staff are accused of logging into its workplace pension scheme’s online system and using employees’ personal details to terminate their membership of the scheme.
If convicted those accused could face up to two years in prison and an unlimited fine.
In a first for TPR, those charged with unauthorised access to a computer programme, contrary to section 1(1) of the Computer Misuse Act 1990 are:
• Workchain Ltd, which has its head office in Stephensons Way, Derby, Derbyshire
• Director Phil Tong, 40, of Spend Lane, Ashbourne, Derbyshire
• Director Adam Hinkley, 39, of Shardlow Road, Alvaston, Derbyshire
• Hannah Armson, 34, of Heath Lane, Findern, Derbyshire
• Lisa Coy, 33, of Marylebone Crescent, Mackworth, Derbyshire
• Martin West, 31, of Jackson Road, Hucknall, Nottinghamshire
• Robert Tomlinson, 38, of Crosby Close, Forest Town, Nottinghamshire
• Andrew Thorpe, 33, of Thorpe Street, Burntwood, Staffordshire
The case continues.